Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ola Dubh tasting

Ola Dubh is Harviestouns Old Engine Oil that has been stored on old whisky barrels. They use Highland Park barrels of different ages. Last Saturday we tried their 12, 18 and 30 year old versions. I tried their 12 year old version at Örebro Beer and Whisky Festival and was really impressed. Ended up giving it a 4,3/5 and was lucky enough to be given what was left in the bottle when I bought my 5 cl sample. However there where more then 5 cl left in the bottle so I was quite pleased with myself.

To save time and space I can tell you that all three of them had similar characteristics. They where all black as sin with chocolate, coffee, whisky, licorice and wood aromas. So instead of repeating myself I will give you some shorter reviews focusing on their differences.

Ola Dubh 12 (33 cl) 8%
This one was quite raw and boozy despite it's relatively low alcohol. The others thought this one had the most whisky flavour in it. Some even claimed it had to much whisky flavour. I personally didn't find it that intense.
Total: 4/5
Ola Dubh 18 (33 cl) 8%
This one was allot milder then both the 12 and the 30. It also had more licorice and butter compared to the others. It also had the lightest body of the three. Definitely worse then the others.
Total: 3,8/5

Ola Dubh 30 (33 cl) 8%
This is the one I thought had the strongest whisky flavour of the three. It had a very noticeable smoky whisky flavour. It had the most intense flavour and the thickest body of the three I tried. Also felt more complex and well balanced then the others. Definite winner in this test.
Total: 4,2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment