Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sailor... toy or beer?

Sailor (33 cl bottle) 5%
This beer was released at Systembolaget on the 24th of March and is now part of the permanent supply. However this isn't the first time this beer has been at Systembolaget. It was actually sold in 50 cl cans until 2005, and is now being re-introduced in a whole new package. From a distance it almost looks like a ceramic copy of an old bottle. But up close it looks more like a plastic toy. Darren from BeerSweden commented that his kid thought it looked like something out of SpongeBob Square Pants. I've never actually seen it but I think the kid is on to something.

Style:
Pale Lager
Cost: 12,90 SEK


Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
■□□□□□□□----□□□■□□□□-----■□□□□□□□---■□□□□□□□----■□□□□□□□

Appearance: 1/5
Greenish pale watery yellow liquid with a small white foam.

Smell: 2/10

Weak smell of white bread, lime, banana and fruit candy.

Taste: 2/10
An odd artificial taste of white bread, chemical sweetness, lime, caramel, bananas, fruit candy, wet paper and butter.

Mouthfeel: 1/5

Light body, medium-high carbonation, a bit rough mouthfeel.

Comment:
This was bad, tasted like a mix of chemicals, water and a fistful of mixed candy. Felt very artificial and hardly even resembles a beer. It also had some off flavours such as wet paper and butter which drags the points down a bit more. However it didn't have any of the really bad flavours that often troubles macro lagers such as puke, cat pee, metal and so on, which saves it from getting the minimum score.

Despite my dislike for this beer I think it might actually sell. The unique bottle design will turn some heads and will probably find a crowd that likes to stand out. But I personally ended up pouring it out after I finished my review. Just couldn't stand to drink any more.

Total: 0,9/5

6 comments:

  1. I actually like this beer!
    Not only because of the good-looking packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's the beauty of beer tasting, it's all subjective. Nice to hear you liked it. May I ask what you liked about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to the brewery, this beer only shares the name with the old Pripps canned budget lager.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha I didn't see that in the phamphlete I got. But I'm sure you are right. Had a feeling it was a whole new brew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It´s a Harboe Brew i heard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might not be so picky beer drinkers, but likes that it is so simple;)
    As I said, I am not a connoisseur of beer ; )

    Peter

    ReplyDelete