Saturday, March 20, 2010

Fuglsang Easter Bird

Fuglsang Easter Bird (33 cl bottle) 5,5%
This is one of the Easter beers that where released at Systembolaget on the 15th of march. They have used European malts and American hops, Cascade and Simcoe are mentioned.

This beer is named Early Bird in Denmark and has just been re-labelled for Easter.

Style:
American Pale Ale
Cost: 19,90 SEK


Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
□□■□□□□□----□□■□□□□□-----■□□□□□□---□□■□□□□□----□□■□□□□□

Appearance: 4/5
Clear copper liquid with a medium sized white foam that left big chunks on the side of the glass.

Smell: 5/10

Lager-like smell, bread, malt, citrus and just a little bit of metal and hops.

Taste: 6/10
Grassy hops, malt, citrus and also some fruits. Can't quite distinguish which, but feels like a faint tangerine taste.

Mouthfeel: 3/5

Medium smooth with a medium thick body. Feels ok I have nothing to complain about really.

Comment: A fairly easy to drink American pale ale that I initially mistook for a lager. The only thing that made me think otherwise before trying it was the foam that didn't look much any lager I've seen. Even as I drink it I find some characteristics that I relate to regular Danish lagers. Not sure why I draw that reference, could it be the yeast? It's also very moderately hopped, which is a bit disappointing.

This beer might work with your Easter dinner, but I have a feeling it's better suited for that first Spring sun. Find shelter from the cool winds and I think this beer would come to it's best.

I'm not overly impressed, it's a decent APA, but there are better options available. Feels like they chickened out a bit when they added the hops. Or maybe it was the use of lager yeast... or both. Anyway here is the score:

Total: 2,9/5

3 comments:

  1. It's on my "to drink" list :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just a Easter beer in Sweden. In Denmark, it is sold as "Early Bird".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bark: Ah, I completely forgot to mention it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete