Monday, March 8, 2010

Monks Café low alcohol beers

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago Monk's Café has started brewing and selling some low alcohol beer. The other day I went passed their pub on Sveavägen and bought a 6-pack. They had 3 different beers and I bought 2 of each, my dad will get the three I still have left. It seems like the concept has been a success, according to their news letter they are widening their supply of low alcohol beer. Here are some short reviews of the beers I bought:

Monks Mandarin Ale (33 cl) 3,3%
This is a lighter version of Monks Orange Ale (scored 3,5/5). It tasted a bit like a low alcohol lager with allot of orange and mandarin flavour. It doesn't have much fruitiness and yeast as I expected compared to the original. It had a light body and felt a bit watered out. It felt fresh and probably works well with most kinds of food.
Total: 2,3/5
Monks Svea Pale Ale (33cl) 3,3%
This is a lighter version of
Monks Svea IPA (scored 3,8/5). It had a smell and taste of hops, mostly grassy hops, but also some citrus and bread. Despite the hops it had a low bitterness. The body was light and the beer felt a bit watered out. As with the Mandarin Ale this probably works well with food, but I think the Mandarin Ale is a better companion.
Total: 2,5/5


Monks Black Isak (33 cl) 3,3%
This is a lighter version of
Monks Black Jack (scored 3,8/5). It looked great when I poured it, pitch black liquid with a big brown foam. It also had a nice aroma of coffee, chocolate and some roasted notes. Actually a pretty decent beer, the body is of course light and the flavour wasn't as intense as a stronger beer. But it feels like a viable option if you want something lighter. It also worked great with some chocolate.
Total: 3,2/5


It was hard to put points on these beers, the low alcohol gave them all a light body and the flavour was less intense then normal. But I think they work well as an option for other low alcohol beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment